Homestead Funding would like to welcome Sydney Lewis who recently joined our Cornwall, NY sales team.
Sydney entered the mortgage industry in 2008, after originally working on Wall Street. As a graduate of St. John’s University with an Accounting major and Finance minor, Sydney would describe himself as a “numbers person.” This, being one of Sydney’s greatest attributes, will permit him to analyze varying scenarios and to identify the mortgage product that will work best for your individual needs--one that corresponds to your financial need(s).
Sydney says, “there is no greater reward than seeing my clients receive the keys to their dream home(s).” When you work with Homestead Funding Corp. and Sydney, you can rest assured we are a well-oiled machine that will easily guide you through the home buying experience and get you to that closing table faster than our competitors.
Sydney looks forward to working with you. Give him a call today!
To Learn more about Sydney visit his webpage.
Homestead Funding would like to welcome Mimi English who recently joined our Delmar, NY sales team.
As someone with a previous career and background in hospitality, Mimi knows her greatest strength, and what sets her apart from other mortgage professionals, is how she treats her clients. She listens first which is key to finding out what their needs are, and then working with them to find the best mortgage option to fit those needs. Mimi knows that everyone is extremely busy, so she makes sure she is able to work around her client’s schedules so it’s convenient. She wants her borrowers to feel confident in the decisions they’re making, and therefore her top priority is educating, and effectively communicating with her borrowers, so they know where they are during each step of the mortgage process.
Mimi’s history in business and in building relationships has taught her how important reputation is, and as such was excited to align herself with a company who prides itself on having an excellent reputation. Mimi says, “the support that Homestead provides me is a huge part of what makes me able to do my job to the best of my ability, and in turn, provide my customers the red-carpet treatment that they deserve”.
If you want to work with someone who pays attention to detail and will truly advocate on your behalf, then give Mimi a call today!
To Learn more about Mimi visit her webpage.
Pre-Qualification vs. Pre-Approval: What’s the Difference?
If you are starting the home buying process, you may have heard that you need to get pre-qualified or pre-approved. Although many people use these terms interchangeably, there are very important differences between the two terms that every homebuyer should understand.
Pre-qualification is seen as the first step in the mortgage process, and is usually done over the phone or online with a Loan Originator. You provide the lender with an overall financial picture, including your debt, income, and assets. The lender reviews everything and gives you an estimate of how much you can expect to borrow. Pre-qualification is based solely on the information you provide to the lender and can give you a starting point for your homebuying search.
A pre-approval can be done first or as a next step after pre-qualification. It requires the borrower to complete an official mortgage application and supply all the necessary documentation to perform an extensive check on your financial history and current credit rating. During the pre-approval process, you will discuss product and rate options because this is often based, in part, on your credit score. You may even lock in an interest rate. You will receive a conditional commitment in writing for an exact loan amount, allowing you to look for a home at or below that price level. Pre-approval puts you at advantage when you are negotiating with a seller because they know you are one step closer to being able to afford their home.
The advantage of completing both steps before you begin house hunting is that you will have a good idea in advance of how much you can afford. You won’t waste time with guessing or looking at properties that are beyond you means. The pre-approval also enables you to move quickly when you find the perfect home, because the seller knows that your offer is serious, especially in a competitive market.
Tips and Tricks for First Time Homebuyers
- Start with a realtor that you trust. You might be spending a lot of time with this person. Make sure it’s a good fit.
- Get Pre-approved or at the very least pre-qualified. Make sure you know how much house you can afford BEFORE you start looking. Shopping for anything without a budget will only set you up for failure and disappointment.
- Know your deal breakers. It’s important to know your WANTS vs. your NEEDS and to remind yourself of them while you’re looking for houses.
- Take pictures! Start each photo with a picture of the house flyer with the address. You’ll thank yourself later. This will make life MUCH easier when you’re going back and looking at them. Also, make sure to take pictures of the home’s greatest strengths, but also any issues you see.
- Take notes! Keeping your thoughts organized about each home you view is key. Make sure to take notes as you go, or immediately after viewing EACH home you see. You won’t remember everything when you get home so this will be key when reevaluating the homes you’ve seen.
- Don’t just focus on the home. it’s easy to get caught up with the new white kitchen or beautiful hardwood floors, but you need to be careful. Make sure to take note the area surrounding the home. Will your commute to work be easy? Does the neighborhood meet my needs? (If you’re starting a family, a quiet street might be preferred over a busy one). Swapping out countertops or backsplash is relatively easy. Picking up the entire house and moving it to a more preferred neighborhood… not so much.
- Lastly, trust your gut. For some people, it might take viewing 20 homes to finally find the right one. But, for others, it might be the first or second home you visit. If you’re confident that you’ve found the right home, embrace that feeling.
Homestead Funding would like to welcome Nicholas Pray who recently joined our Lancaster, PA sales team.
As a Lancaster native with deep, lifelong ties to his community, Nicholas has watched the city grow and thrive to become one of the top 50 places to live in the United States. Over the years, Nicholas has had the opportunity to interact with many local residents in various settings. These interactions helped him cultivate his ability to listen to a buyer and understand how to best assist them with their home buying process. Nicholas strives to help his customers make informed choices, so they feel comfortable and secure with their mortgage decisions.
To Learn more about Nicholas visit his webpage.